Salad packed with vitamins and minerals and a skin cleanser!
Who says salads have to be boring and a chore/obligation to eat? Nope, veer away from that mindset because the sky is the limit now with technology enabling us to access recipes from around the world, we are our own limitation. The reason for this post stems from my obsession with a salad that I usually purchase when I’m out and about with work, this salad is so tasty, nutritious, packed full of gorgeous nutrients. As much as this salad is consumed during travels, I realized that I could actually make it and give it my own spin without altering it too much. Another good reason was facing up to healthy eating to improve my skin because I have suffered from acne the last 4 years I had to tackle this monster head on by eating healthily and drinking lots of water
I am not a vegan nor vegetarian but this salad is so delicious I eat it just like that as I feel adding meat will spoil it, that’s not to say you can’t add some meat to accompany it, it’s my personal choice. In this section of the post I will list the ingredients and the benefits of each of them as I think it’s imperative to get an understanding of what is a balanced healthy diet, and it’s also exciting to have an informed choice of the benefits of eating something healthy and what it will do for your body.
Caveat – I am not a chef so most of my ingredients will not be listed with exact measurements, let’s just call it rustic measurements/ measuring with the eye. You get the gist of how much you want and we all do it sometimes……
Arsenal of ingredients to pack a punch!
- A handful of raw baby spinach (enough for yourself if you’re just making a single serving). Spinach is rich in iron, vitamins, potassium, magnesium, phosphorus, fibre, protein and choline. These nutrients are beneficial in boosting your blood mineral content look at all these mineral-rich nutrients, it is great for repairing cells, and is low in calories, the benefits of the green leaf is endless, it’s safe to say it is an all-rounder for you. Spinach is brilliant as it is tasty whether cooked, raw in salads or added in smoothies.
- Two tablespoons of almonds – I prefer to lightly toast mine in a pan, the smell is intoxicatingly beautiful however if you like just toss them in the salad raw. I was always a fan of peanuts and never really bothered with any other nut I can safely say I’ve been converted! Almonds are a rich source of protein, fibre, magnesium and vitamin E and healthy fats, manganese, copper, riboflavin and phosphorus and they are also deemed as an oxidant. These nutrients are great in combating signs of ageing by repairing cells and reducing oxidative damage, some research data has revealed that the levels of vitamin E aids in lowering cholesterol and blood pressure, especially when the nuts are still encased in their brown skin!
- Two tablespoons grated carrot – this is my own spin, the orange adds a vibrancy to the salad and carrots are packed full of vitamins, fibre, minerals, beta-carotene due to its colour and is also a great antioxidant, you can just imagine the skin benefits of carrots so far already with only these ingredients you’re way on your way to a healthier body and a healthier skin (if you suffer from acne as I do).
- Raw green beans (just a few) – these crunchy green tasty beans add a textural dimension on top of providing an array of healthy nutritional goodness to complement the other ingredients. Green beans can be blanched if you wish or added in the salad raw, they are low calorie, vitamin enriched and mineral packed super veg! They are high in Vitamin C great for boosting the immune system, fibre content is imperative for great colon activity thus preventing constipation!
- A few florets of broccoli (blanched for approx 3 minutes), they should still have the lovely crunch yet soft enough to eat. Broccoli is packed with vitamins, fibre, minerals like phosphorus, manganese, potassium, and copper. The vitamin C content has a high content of antioxidants which fight the free radicals.
- Chia seeds are always a welcome addition to the salad, the great thing about these seeds is you can add them to anything e.g salads, yoghurts, smoothies. Chia seeds are packed full of fibre, omega 3 fatty acids even though they are of low calorific content. They also are high in protein and loaded with anti oxidants!
A healthy salad commands a healthy dressing!
With such an abundance of nutritional ingredients, a lovely ginger and soy dressing will compliment this gorgeous salad. The marriage of soy, fresh ginger and olive oil will bring joy to your eating experience. Now to the recipe! If you make a batch of this dressing, you can keep it in the fridge for up to 3 days. This dressing you will have to adjust ingredients to suit your taste so below is a guide
- Two tablespoons extra virgin oil
- One tablespoon light soy sauce
- One teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- One tablespoon honey (adjust all ingredients to your taste)
- Whisk all ingredients until you get a lovely golden brown colour
Drizzle the gorgeous dressing on the salad and hey presto ENJOY!!!
So this weekend has been a beautiful, cathartic exercise I carried out, that was long overdue…………..I had a clear out, I guess I could call it an autumn clean opposed to the ”spring cleaning” we tend to do when spring is looming. It all started on Wednesday when my dad nearly got lost in my garage, yes it had stuff literally falling out, stacked items on top of each other as I always had the ”in case I’ll need it” mindset. My dear dad proclaimed he will come over one morning and clear out my garage, and sure enough, he did stick to his words. What happened in the days that followed was a massive transformation to my psyche.
What I discovered during those few days was a lot of baggage, unnecessary items that I didn’t even use. Knowing now that everything is energy I realised I was harbouring old ghosts in the items. I still had stuff I had with my ex-partner when we were together. I saw this as holding on to the past so I knew the best thing to do was remove all these items and clear the energy for new energy. The trip to the tip was such a great release interestingly I felt lighter and my mood was uplifted because
- I released energies from the past
- I also had a very clean garage
I just didn’t stop there, I then cleared out my wardrobes, I had bags of clothes and shoes I cleared out, I had not worn in such a long time and they went to people that really needed them. I realised I went through a phase of buying clothes, not because I needed them, I feel that I was replacing something I had lost with online clothes shopping. Most of the clothes weren’t things I even wore! So not only was it a therapeutic activity for my mind and soul, but I was also doing something charitable. I noticed that, during a challenging time, a few years ago.
What are the benefits?
There are several benefits that clearing out has, I can’t imagine there are any negatives other than saying goodbye to the things you thought you needed otherwise it is a positive experience.
- With clearing out, comes cleaning and re-organisation (brilliant bonus).
- Clearing clutter clears trapped, old energy and also letting go of the past and generating new energy.
- Clearing clutter has a tremendous impact on our physical and mental wellbeing when you clear out it is symbolic of ridding old emotions you have been holding on to and may also increase vibrational energy in your home. The emotions may not all be bad but as we shed skin cells and hair so should we shed old energy to create room for new energy
There are brilliant tips on what to clear when you’re making room for new things and how it benefits your wellbeing click here to read Kelly Prince’s article. Now that we have highlighted the wonderful benefits of physically clearing out to benefit us physically and spiritually, think about what you need to clear out in your house, car or garage to make way for new energy and to release old trapped energy. Mindfully take note if you feel different immediately after the exercise and if you then continue to experience a different energy shift moving forward. You have nothing to lose and a lot to gain from cleansing your surroundings, until next time beautiful souls..…..
How come we find it difficult to feel positive, to be in a higher frequency or vibration? Why does negativity cloud and dominate our essence when something awful happens for a brief moment, it takes over our whole disposition and completely clouds our emotions? We are told that in order to be the kind of person that is righteous and existing on a higher consciousness one has to
- to be selfless yet not a walkover,
- kindness without expectation
- loving without passing judgement
Basically, loving everything around us without passing any form of judgement, serving the world without any expectation of getting something back but just helping because you want to transform someone’s life. All these qualities are the epitome of an individual who is living a fulfilled life with a higher consciousness. So how come it is a challenge to live according to those qualities? How do you survive life’s curveballs without losing patients and pulling your hair out? Living righteously is when you truly live your life as genuinely as you would like, without any pretence, just being you! How liberating does that make you feel when you wake up thinking, I am who I am, without needing to please anyone at your detriment. Living a fulfilled righteous life does not mean being a people pleaser whilst sabotaging your happiness, it’s when you have awareness of what is right and fulfilling in your life. I guess what I’m trying to understand, as I journey through life is that, in order to live positively, I should live a fulfilled life, I exist harmoniously with everything that is around me and that I follow my purpose.
When you come to realise the essence of the Universe and what it has to offer for us earthlings, is that each and every one of us came to this earth with a talent and to use that talent to heal, mentor and empower each other. That makes each individual on this planet unique and gifted, such that pursuing that purpose, for those that have not yet done so, so fulfilling because that is when you realise that you are here for a reason. Our purpose/gifts are transformational beyond measure, and because there is such a variety of purposes, we are bound to learn infinitely as there is always something new to discover. However, this brings me back to the same question,
Why is it only a few realise the Universe is here to provide for us and guide us through life so we can be whoever we want to be and pursue our dreams? What has clouded our thought process, mindsets and behaviours that has convinced us that we should not question anything and that we should be content with the way our life path is shaped? There seems to be ”a wake-up call” which is termed as ”the awakening” when an individual becomes aware of a transformation and an awareness that there is more to life than we think we know. From then on, the way life is viewed becomes so different and more meaningful because when you awaken, the mind is inquisitive and yearning to know more so much that self-development becomes essential. Finding your purpose to serve the world becomes paramount as putting the world right becomes far important than material gain.
You will never be the same again, I guess what I’m trying to say is you cannot reverse the ”awakening” because the only way is forward from that point. When you start questioning your existence, who you are and what is around you, you realise that you will not tolerate the things that do not serve your purpose. Often enough I have listened to several podcasts and read a lot in forums and groups how some people have changed their way of life, for example,
- eating habits – cutting out sugar, fatty or fast foods as these foods do not keep our bodies healthy, some people decide to become vegetarian completely cutting out meat. This one is quite difficult for me personally as I have only cut out sugar recently, it is tough but I am getting used to it. I’ve not cut out the meat yet not got to that stage and not sure whether I would, however, I do incorporate a vegetarian diet.
- exercising – it is a great way to release endorphins and the feel-good vibes that is food to our souls.
- being present – becoming aware of your surrounding, living in the present, one of the chores of meditation. This leads me to the next point.
- be around people who inspire and build you – this is important as you will become aware that opportunities will become available and some may say ”coincidences” I would say ”synchronicities” become apparent…..
- meditation – taking the time to go introspective and understand yourself and gain mental clarity. Meditation provides the calmness and heightened awareness. I am still miles away from being experienced, I do struggle to meditate daily or as often as I would like. I try not to put myself under pressure when I don’t get a chance to meditate, I would love to meditate so it becomes a way of life rather than a task to do!
Can you imagine the goodness and joy that will come to you when exhibiting positivity, fulfilling your purpose and living your life the best way you can? How amazing will life be, rather than waiting for something to happen in order for you to be happy, it’s about being happy during the journey of life. Being genuine to yourself and to others, It is not about people pleasing, it’s about honest living with compassion and empathy towards others. Connecting with like-minded people who will inspire you to live your higher level, the Universe will bring to you what you exhibit so why not live a fulfilled positive life, just being you, and enjoying the life we have, it is a wonderful gift and we only have 1 life.
Happiness is not the absence of problems, but the ability to deal with themwww.thegreatquotes.com
The quote above is very powerful and it has changed my
outlook on how I viewed the fortunate and unfortunate incidences in my
life. Whatever you ”are starting all over again” with. Take that as an
opportunity to go back to the drawing board, learn from the experience and
continue your journey. When you have the mindset to deal with ups and downs,
your ”downs” can become great opportunities.
A mindset shift is not an overnight miraculous change, it
takes a lot of work to reprogram the mind so as to deal with day to day
challenges. Negativity has such an impact on our health. When there is a
lot of negative energy the body responds by increasing heart rate (fight or
flight response). So imagine your body going through this fight or flight
experiences several times a day, what impact would that have on your wellbeing?
This strain will bring illness to the body, mind and spirit. A positive mindset promotes growth, a personal development which is encouraged to living a fulfilled life. The benefits of a positive mindset are evident and reflected in your health, spirit, and mind. A small shift in change will provide you with a number of benefits.
Steps towards the right mindset shift
What are the steps needed to begin this life-changing way of
life? When an action is performed repeatedly, it becomes a habit. Making sure
you practice the actions consistently will result in the shift happening such
that it becomes a way of life. Here are some that you could take note.
- Instead of doing the same activity/task habitually, try doing something different.
- Be your own best fan, love yourself. When you love yourself you become kinder to yourself. We are our own worst saboteurs, self-doubting our capabilities.
- Becoming mindful of yourself, becoming more aware of everything around us. A lot of the times we are on autopilot such that we could go about our daily tasks and not notice the beauty the world has to offer.
- Exercise – is a great way of releasing endorphins and when the body is energetic and fit, it feeds into a positive mindset.
- Increase knowledge, learn something new, read more. Stimulating the brain has benefits to your body and a great mindset – ”knowledge is power”. There is an interesting article that delves into the benefits of continued self-development, click here if you want to know more.
As you may have noted, a positive mindset has advantages
that outweigh a troubled negative mindset. I don’t think we choose to have a
negative mindset, I feel that becoming aware that the mindset needs changing is
the first challenge with the next challenge being the process of shifting the
mindset. Once we have that awareness the journey begins, and I say it is a
journey as it is ongoing………
”Be careful what you wish for”, the famous saying we all blurt out in our day to day conversations. This saying is so powerful as I associate it with the ”law of attraction”, attracting like for like. What we put out there is what we receive, do you believe in that law, that we are part of the universal matrix of energy and frequencies? The energy that we expend out there we get the same back. We are governed by laws of the universe we live in, what others may term as ”karma”. People often say they find the things they don’t like manifest in their reality quicker than what they truly love. That I find is how our mindset is designed, we are creatures of fear, and let’s remember, fear is an emotion as much as happiness and sadness are. We fear a lot about lack of money, no one loving us, or having a bad day. What if we program our minds to think positively? Do you think then we will attract what we love? We have to be really careful about what we say because when we instill emotion in the things we say those that we say we then attract. The flip side to this is how difficult it is to be positive when you are not in the headspace or when your surroundings are not supporting the emotion.
A few years ago I purchased the renowned book, ”The Secret” to try and understand how the law of attraction works and to also aid me in shifting my mindset. I began to understand that we can create our own reality and our own heaven. I am from a Christian background and growing up I was taught that when we die we either go to heaven (if we’re good) or we go to hell! I lived my life according to that rule until I went through some life experiences that led me to search for ”my truth”. I came to realize that I am my own creator of the reality I want to live in, I can create and enjoy heaven, while I’m still on this earth. To live life to the fullest and live a life of peace, abundance and positivity all governed by the greatest law of all, ”Love”. By living your life to the fullest with love and positivity, everything around you will support a beautiful reality. I have not reached that ultimate state of living, I am a work in progress and living day to day reminding myself that I am a co creator of my reality. What are the steps we need to take in order to lead a fulfilling reality?
Firstly It starts with us, our inner being, the soul within us. Being of a mind that is free from judging, free from negative influences, that’s not to say we are free from life struggles. It is important to recognize how we deal with the hiccups that are thrown our way. I remember how I used to struggle with slow drivers in front of me, that used to annoy me so much I’d be cursing in my car, winding myself up and getting agitated, guess what? The more I got annoyed the more I had slow driver occurrences.After reading and getting to understanding the law of attraction I realized I was actually attracting more of this so I decided to switch my mindset and accepting of the slow drivers, sometimes acting as if I wasn’t noticing them, I slowly started noticing It wasn’t happening as much as it used to before. I became more patient and accepting that the driver in front of me, had as much right to be in that place at that given time.
Believing in your self-worth, valuing your being and loving yourself are key to finding your higher self and attracting the things you desire. This is no magic, it is something each and every one of us is entitled to. Spread your wings and discover your potential and most of all, love yourself more than you’ve ever loved!
Being human is a mix of conscious and unconscious behaviors that are nurtured and are part of nature. What if I told you that we are far greater than what you have told you are capable of?
As a society, we have been programmed with sets of rules that we have been told to abide by. Rules and laws created by the government, macro and micro levels, as we grow our brains become limited in what we can and can’t do and by so doing we shut off. We have forgotten to be joyous of the little things, we can no longer see the beauty of nature, the tweeting of birds the universe sending us signs and guidance. We are now blinkered to the point where we are operating on autopilot. I was watching Dr. Joe Dispenza’s video and he explained this disassociation really well. He states that our bodies become so good at performing daily routines that it becomes a habit. We get to the point of automatically responding to situations without engaging the brain. We become immune to the signs from ” source/universe” the synchronicity, serendipity, and messages we can receive from the universe have become unnoticed.
Personally, I am living daily reminding myself how best to become the best version of myself, not as an act, but as a way of life. It’s not easy because we are faced with challenges daily. What I’ve discovered is not that we become immune to life’s challenges, it is how we face and deal with the challenges that will make a difference to our well being. The heart and the brain work hand in hand, you cannot have awakening without the other, they have to sync and become symbiotic in order to elevate oneself. There are a few helpful tips that you can work towards awakening your soul
Gratitude is an integral part of spiritual development, when you open your heart and soul, having empathy without any sense of judgment toward anyone or anything. You will notice that you will face some challenges, it’s not an easy path however it is exciting you will become averse to negativity, while you are soul cleansing you are detoxing your surroundings. The Universe will probably help you with that, those people will probably just disappear from your life!
You become hungry for knowledge, to better yourself as you become aware that you are here on earth to serve a purpose. You begin to find your path if you haven’t already done so!
Self-love, when you love yourself and are content with who you are, you are open to love and respect those around you
practice patience whatever situation befalls you, dealing with it consciously with awareness. When you practice patience issues or challenges will become bearable and will only become a minor hurdle.
Conscious awakening is a way of life, integrate these steps into your daily life and your life will become fulfilled. Serendipity, synchronicity, and miracles will become more pronounced in your life. I am living day to day trying to incorporate these steps in my life, at times it is a challenge and I am consciously reviewing my actions before I can react. It is baby steps and an ongoing process hoping to become ”a way of life”.
How do you raise your consciousness? What steps do you take daily to live a fulfilling and abundant life?
Until next time………………………….