The brain is a very powerful organ and also very delicate. Often our mood is influenced by how and what we perceive we are feeling. Your day can have different outcomes depending on our mindset, if you wake up thinking you’ll have a bad day, often more times than not, you will have a bad day. Our brains seek to recognise all that is negative and bad because we have steered it to that idea.
We have to recognise what strategies we can use in order to maximise our potential as a human race. By focusing on what is positive and good for our minds and souls we begin to realise that our minds are a powerful tool for personal growth. This transcends into our personal and business lives.
I was faced with a great challenge this year when I decided to change the direction of my life. As much as I enjoyed my job as in Clinical Research, it took me away from my family I was missing out on quality time with my children due to travelling for days with work. I was looking for a solution that will give me financial freedom as well as personal flexibility to earn an income whilst having the precious quality time with my children. I had a few doubts creeping wondering if I could take the plunge and change the course of my whole life, change direction from a clinical background to digital marketing how do I start. All these thoughts were swimming in my head, it wasn’t until I joined a wonderful online community that I realised I have the potential and ability to go for my dreams. Not only is it a digital marketing community, they are amazing at instilling self confidence, enriching your mind and encouraging you to fulfil your goals by their mindfulness modules, this is so unique to them, they are not only teaching you skills they are also helping you to find yourself and shift your mindset.
What consumes your mind? What controls your life often we are plagued by negativity and little voices in our heads that are very vocal about what you can or cannot do? There are a few strategies you can use to quieten those little voices and shift your mind to a balanced positive place
- Affirmations are a great way to start training your mind to focus on what is positive
- Being present, a way of becoming mindful of who you are and your surroundings – often we become tunnel visioned and lose awareness as we become focused on our daily monotonous day to day. Take time to admire the vibrant colours around, become a mind that is open to everything and attached to nothing
- Meditation is beautiful way to become one with your mind – you don’t have to do hours of meditation, a few minutes at a time can help quieten the mind and promote focus
- Admitting failure – it is not bad that you have failed, we all learn from failure/challenges, it is how you deal with the challenges that makes a difference
I hope this article is helpful and resonates with you, feel free to leave a comment if you so wish. Until next time…………
Salad packed with vitamins and minerals and a skin cleanser!
Who says salads have to be boring and a chore/obligation to eat? Nope, veer away from that mindset because the sky is the limit now with technology enabling us to access recipes from around the world, we are our own limitation. The reason for this post stems from my obsession with a salad that I usually purchase when I’m out and about with work, this salad is so tasty, nutritious, packed full of gorgeous nutrients. As much as this salad is consumed during travels, I realized that I could actually make it and give it my own spin without altering it too much. Another good reason was facing up to healthy eating to improve my skin because I have suffered from acne the last 4 years I had to tackle this monster head on by eating healthily and drinking lots of water
I am not a vegan nor vegetarian but this salad is so delicious I eat it just like that as I feel adding meat will spoil it, that’s not to say you can’t add some meat to accompany it, it’s my personal choice. In this section of the post I will list the ingredients and the benefits of each of them as I think it’s imperative to get an understanding of what is a balanced healthy diet, and it’s also exciting to have an informed choice of the benefits of eating something healthy and what it will do for your body.
Caveat – I am not a chef so most of my ingredients will not be listed with exact measurements, let’s just call it rustic measurements/ measuring with the eye. You get the gist of how much you want and we all do it sometimes……
Arsenal of ingredients to pack a punch!
- A handful of raw baby spinach (enough for yourself if you’re just making a single serving). Spinach is rich in iron, vitamins, potassium, magnesium, phosphorus, fibre, protein and choline. These nutrients are beneficial in boosting your blood mineral content look at all these mineral-rich nutrients, it is great for repairing cells, and is low in calories, the benefits of the green leaf is endless, it’s safe to say it is an all-rounder for you. Spinach is brilliant as it is tasty whether cooked, raw in salads or added in smoothies.
- Two tablespoons of almonds – I prefer to lightly toast mine in a pan, the smell is intoxicatingly beautiful however if you like just toss them in the salad raw. I was always a fan of peanuts and never really bothered with any other nut I can safely say I’ve been converted! Almonds are a rich source of protein, fibre, magnesium and vitamin E and healthy fats, manganese, copper, riboflavin and phosphorus and they are also deemed as an oxidant. These nutrients are great in combating signs of ageing by repairing cells and reducing oxidative damage, some research data has revealed that the levels of vitamin E aids in lowering cholesterol and blood pressure, especially when the nuts are still encased in their brown skin!
- Two tablespoons grated carrot – this is my own spin, the orange adds a vibrancy to the salad and carrots are packed full of vitamins, fibre, minerals, beta-carotene due to its colour and is also a great antioxidant, you can just imagine the skin benefits of carrots so far already with only these ingredients you’re way on your way to a healthier body and a healthier skin (if you suffer from acne as I do).
- Raw green beans (just a few) – these crunchy green tasty beans add a textural dimension on top of providing an array of healthy nutritional goodness to complement the other ingredients. Green beans can be blanched if you wish or added in the salad raw, they are low calorie, vitamin enriched and mineral packed super veg! They are high in Vitamin C great for boosting the immune system, fibre content is imperative for great colon activity thus preventing constipation!
- A few florets of broccoli (blanched for approx 3 minutes), they should still have the lovely crunch yet soft enough to eat. Broccoli is packed with vitamins, fibre, minerals like phosphorus, manganese, potassium, and copper. The vitamin C content has a high content of antioxidants which fight the free radicals.
- Chia seeds are always a welcome addition to the salad, the great thing about these seeds is you can add them to anything e.g salads, yoghurts, smoothies. Chia seeds are packed full of fibre, omega 3 fatty acids even though they are of low calorific content. They also are high in protein and loaded with anti oxidants!
A healthy salad commands a healthy dressing!
With such an abundance of nutritional ingredients, a lovely ginger and soy dressing will compliment this gorgeous salad. The marriage of soy, fresh ginger and olive oil will bring joy to your eating experience. Now to the recipe! If you make a batch of this dressing, you can keep it in the fridge for up to 3 days. This dressing you will have to adjust ingredients to suit your taste so below is a guide
- Two tablespoons extra virgin oil
- One tablespoon light soy sauce
- One teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- One tablespoon honey (adjust all ingredients to your taste)
- Whisk all ingredients until you get a lovely golden brown colour
Drizzle the gorgeous dressing on the salad and hey presto ENJOY!!!