What’s good enough to ingest is surely good enough to put on my skin, a brilliant ethos to practice when it comes to clean living. I can’t keep up with discovering goodness in the fruits, herbs and oils we have access to, I am coming to the point where I am becoming a skincare junky! The excitement of trying something new is motivation enough to cleanse my skin daily.
I heard the many wonders of Tamarind on a Facebook group that I’m a member of so I decided to read on this a bit more. It is a fruit I’ve come across growing up in Southern Africa and never once tried it until a few weeks ago. Personally I enjoy eating it straight from the pod as it reminds me of the earthy taste of the baobab fruit. It has a sweet and sour taste, it’s the tartness that I enjoy the most and am looking forward to cooking with it as it is an ingredient used in a lot of Asian cuisine.
I was amazed how many videos are out there on Tamarind face mask so I decided to give it a go.I purchased a block of Tamarind, you can buy online or in Asian wholesalers.
Below is a method used to make a face mask and toner:-
- When using a block of Tamarind, tear off a dime size and soak in warm water.
- leave to sit for about 30 mins, you will notice the water turns a rich brown color and the Tamarind becomes soft
- you can strain the liquid and separate from the solids ensuring you remove the pod pieces within the tamarind as its not totally unshelled.
- Set aside the strained liquid (that will be your toner)
- Mix the solids until they are a soft consistency and proceed to apply on your face, leave the mask for at least 30 mins (I left mine for more than an hour) Skin felt tight when the mask was on.
- Rinse with lukewarm water, and splash with cold water to close the pores
- Apply the toner after cleansing
I’ve only used it for 2 days so far so am yet to find out if this works, very excited to use this natural ingredient and as stated above ”what’s good enough to ingest is surely good for skincare, and if we eat healthily, our skin will be a reflection of the internal health.